So we had to cancel our trip today due to the major thunderstorm we had throughout the entire Mid Atlantic Region this morning. Hopefully everyone that laid overnight in the canyons made it through safely. I am booked for a lot of trips this coming week, so stay tuned for reports.
Monthly Archives: June 2012
I ran out on the Boss Lady today on a charter with Captain Bill May. We had a great group of guys on the boat ready to put some tuna on the deck. We pointed the boat towards the Wilmington Canyon in calm seas, and had lines in by 7 am. We started on the West Wall where we marked a lot of bait deeper in the water column, but no bites. We slid over toward the East Wall and down towards the natural 100 where we finally got alittle action and put a 30# yellowfin in the box. The water was 76 degrees throughout the Wilmington Canyon, and it was a pretty blue. We started to mark tuna and also see them on the surface throughout the rest of the day sporadically and had a few coverups. Sad to say we had some unfortunate mishaps which made us 5/11 on yft tuna and also caught 1 mahi. Most of the tuna were in the 40-50 pound range. After such a slow day on Sunday, I’m happy to see that they were feeding heavy again today. There was lots of life out there from the yft on the surface, small whales, porpoise, and we even saw a free jumping white marlin. Next trip is Saturday on the Boss Lady.
I mated on the Boss Lady today with Captain Bill May. We headed out towards the 100 fathom line in between the Spencer and the Wilmington Canyon and were on the troll by 7:00 am. There were literally hundreds of boats out there, and it made fishing tough. The weather was absolutely perfect, but that’s about as good as our day got. We never had a fish in our spread all day, and many others had the same problem while there were a lucky few that got into some Bigeyes and Blue Marlin. There was a fantastic Bigeye bite throughout the day, especially in the Wilmington Canyon. A lot of boats also saw tuna rolling on the surface all over, but they just would not bite anything. We even saw it once during the day, and not getting the fish to bite was extremely frustrating. We tried all different kinds of tricks, but nothing worked out.
It’s looking like we are going to have a little bit of rough weather the next couple of days, but as long as the forecasts stays as predicted, we will be out again Thursday on the Boss Lady.
I ran the Trade In again today and decided to run towards to Baltimore looking for yellowfin tuna. We pulled out of the slip at 230 am and made a steady 26 knots all the way out. I hit a 3.5 degree temp break (66 up to 69.5 degrees) in 38 fathoms so we stopped and had lines in there at 545 am.
After an hour of working the break with no signs of fish I pushed offshore. Once we got into 50 fathoms close the the canyon we started picking at yellowfin in the 40-60 pound range. It was a slow steady pick all morning on singles and we were 5-6 by 11 am and had a blue marlin in the spread that didn’t eat.
Action had slowed down for a while and we put out some of the 6# test rods for record fishing. Maureen got hooked up to a skipjack tuna which she brought to the boat and then we got a solid cover up of 40 pound yellowfin. Maureen was on with the 6# so we chased that fish for a short period of time before it broke off and we unfortunately only had one fish still connected since we couldn’t keep em tight while chasing the tuna on 6#.
We ended up bringing home 6 nice yellowfin and had all of our bites in 50-60 fathoms on the 280. Fun fishing. The action was steady everywhere today.
Well today I took Maureen Klause out on her boat Trade In along with mate Anthiny Tsapis. After a 36 mile run right into the leftover ENE swell, we setup to drift for sharks in 66 degree blue green water. No takers, and the next move 5 miles away made no difference. We called it early since we wanted to get ready for our run offshore tomorrow. Hopefully the tuna will cooperate for us.
Spent the day today on the 50′ custom boat, Boss Lady, getting everything rigged and ready for the offshore season. She really is a beautiful boat and a great boat to charter. Great ride and competitive charter rates. Can’t wait to get her out to the Bluewater. We are planning to run on Friday.
If this wind drops out I will be fishing on the 27 Contender, Trade In, with angler Maureen Klause the next two days. She is looking for another IGFA line class record on a mako or a blue shark.
Well since September weather has decided to come in June with a solid NE blow for 5 days straight now, I have taken advantage of the early season lay days to finish catching up on tackle and rigging odds and ends. I was going through my marlin teasers and saw I was missing my green squid chain because of a wahoo bite off, and I was also missing my tacky floss for rigging my circle hook ballyhoo, so a stop by Off the Hook Tackle in Cape May, NJ was needed. Chuck and Mary always have what you need, and if not, they can get it.
I got my Joe Shute sea witched in the mail this week too since I was running low on some must have colors, and Melton also sent me the Mold Craft Wide Ranges I ordered along with the Mold Craft Soft birds I am going to try out making a teaser out of a chain of them. Anxious to see how that works. The idea is for it to mimic flying fish, and I have had whites come up on a single Soft Bird quite a few times instead of the trailing lure or bait meant for tuna, so we will see what happens.
Boss Lady was supposed to get splashed yesterday as it had lots of yard work done to it so it could be ready to go for a solid 2012 season. The fish are here, and it’s time to go once this wind lets up which is looking like Monday at the moment.
I mated again for Joe Trainor on teh 48′ Ocean “Justified” again for sharks today. Joe had a 300+ Thresher yesterday on a reef, so he wanted to try it again. We got there and teh water temperature was up over a degree and he didn’t see the bait. The wind also came up early and it made it very difficult to short drift the smaller piece of structure. After jumping around to a few different spots we struck out today with no action. The water temperature was up to 69 degrees everywhere we went, and we didn’t hear of much action except on the yellowfin tuna in teh Wilmington Canyon.
With ballyhoos rigged, drags set, boat fueled, and iced, and a crew of me (Ricky Wheeler), Anthony, Joe, and Maureen with a collective of 6 hours of shuteye, we pointed the 27′ Contender Trade In for the Spencer Canyon after hearing some solid yft action in the canyons. We hit the tip of the Spencer and had lines in at 5:45 am after a beautiful ride. The water was 66 degrees and clean green which is where I was told the fish were. It didn’t take long to confirm the reports when we hooked into a single tuna on a green machine spreader bar at 6:30 am. Shortly after I marked squid on the bottom and in the middle of the water column and WHAM, 4 on! In the initial runs 2 came off and we quickly boated the other two to get lines back in immediately. At this point the fleet was starting to grow and I wanted to put together a catch before they were drivven down.
We worked the same area in 80-100 fathoms on the West Wall of the Spencer about 2 miles from the tip the rest or the day. We picked at them consistently and put together our limit of yellowfin tuna from 25-45 lbs by 11:00 am. We also had a Blue Marlin on for about 20 seconds before it pulled off. the yellowfins were all over the spreader bars and daisy chains, and they seemed to prefer the chugger head/ballyhoo combos over the islander or sea witch/ballyhoo combo today. The fish were extremely agressize today skying out of the water onto the baits. It was amazing when we watched explosions behind almost every bait and connected with 6. We wound up 6/6 on that round which was a blast!
We brought the 6# test rods in case we did well because we wanted to attempt to get a yft on 6# test. Maureen would need a 40# yellowfin to beat the record. We gave this a shot after the melee and she was hooked up for about 2 minutes until the fish threw the hook. A new piece of water moved in and the fishing shut down. The temperature went from 66-71, and the color was blue green. This piece of water was pushing hard at almost 2 knots WSW. Hopefully it will bring in more fish and hold after this blow coming up. That being said, if I was running offshore again tomorrow, I don’t think I would run to the Spencer due tothis change in conditions.
After another day full of great shark fishing action yesterday on Justified, Maureen, Anthony, and I were back at it again with the 2# test looking for a Blue Shark. 3-4 of the Blue Sharks we had yesterday were the right size for a record on 2# test. When we got there everything was a little different. I didn’t mark as much bait, no thermocline at all, and the water temperature was 66.4 and green (up over a degree from the past three days). We got the lines in at 7:50 am. After a 2 hour drift and no action we decided to move and look around.
We reset about 6 miles away our beyond the 20 line in cleaner water at 67 degrees and again, we had nothing. Our last drift was further north on the 20 line with teh same conditions, and all we had were 3 bluefish bites. Slow Slow day and we were shut down. We called it at 1:30 to go in and prep the boat for the canyon run tomorrow.