Its been quite a few months working on the new rig getting her upgraded and ready to go for the 2020 season which I CANNOT WAIT FOR! We were ale to get her out on her first shakedown fishing trip to work out the kinks and figure out what adjustments needed to be made. I have to say, all in all, the trip went excellent.
We began at 230 am and ran to the west and setup at night into the sunrise for the blacken tunas. They took awhile to find us but the last hour into daylight they were under us and we were getting them good on light tackle and small jigs. When the sun got up they disappeared and we got on the troll. We raised a double header of blue marlin and managed to get 1 of them. It put up a great fight and some fun acrobatics before we got the release. We ended up grabbing a bonus 35# yellowfin tuna then tried our luck at deep dropping but we couldn’t get on them and only managed 1 snapper. At that point we got back on the troll fro a couple more hours with no bites then anchored out overnight to see how she held up. Other then a few issues we had to resolve, we did get into the blackens again right before sunrise on jigs and hen called it a trip.
Wow, it has been a longggg month, but things are all finally starting to come together. I arrived to a boat with nearly nothing in the cockpit, blank canvas, and now we have new struts, shaft tubes, a rewedded fuel tank, deck sturdy and in place, bow thruster, second generator, new transducer (removed all of the old ones so now the bottom is perfect, fixed a lot of spots on the hull that may have been questionable to be safe, and now a full mezzanine in place ready to be primed and painted over the next week.
There is still a ton to do, BUT, starting to see the light. The boat is amazing as it was, but needed to be updated, and now she is getting close to having everything and more that new custom sport fishing boats have, and this boat certainly has the speed and range! Getting excited, and after another 6-8 weeks, she is ready to start running charters all over from Grenada to the Bahamas to New Jersey!!
I made it to Curacao about a week ago as there is a ton of work to do on the 60′ Custom Sportfisihng Boat I will be running beginning the end of November and beyond. Lots and lots of upgrades for the beautiful rig to get her ready for a season full of fishing. Stay tuned for more info as time goes on. Lots of projects happenings nd I am getting very excited to get her out fishing in the near future!
We managed to slip out on the Wish You Were Here in search of lining our outrigger with some laundry! The day started off great with a white marlin release and luckily for us the action continued throughout most of the day. Very fun action fishing along the SW Corner of the Wilmington on a 1.5 degree gradual break. Awesome teaser bites and aggressive fish overall. We ended up releasing 7 white marlin out of 10 bites which places us at 50 white marlin releases for the season so far an 6 blue marlin releases. Still a little ways to go to our goal, and hopefully this hurricane doesn’t ruin the great white marlin fishing we have going on right now.
We finally got a break from the wind and went looking for white marlin and mahi. We started the early grey light hours trying for a tuna but the signs didn’t show that they were there so we quickly switched gears. All. morning we had plenty of action with small dolphin, but were struggling to get a marlin bite until 1100 we finally started to get some shots. The fish were coming in and out of the spread very brown and not aggressive at all. Kind of weird, but they were there and we picked away at 8 bites, one of which was a triple header, and managed to raise 11 fish. We went on to release 3 white marlin in the mix and boxed enough mahi for a couple of dinners. Fun day on the water! Hoping to get another crack at it before this storm rolls up the coast.
Well it’s been quite a week with overall slower fishing. We managed to get a little action, but unfortunately nothing special for the board.
Day 1 was extremely slow for us. 1/2 on white marlin and some small mahi.
Day 2 we ran south and pounded it out which paid off catching 1 blue marlin and 3 white marlin, one of which we took to the scales, but it only weighed 62 pounds.
Day 3 was another tough day as we went 2/3 on white marlin and raised one other along with some small mahi in the mix.
That’s all she wrote.